These babies melt in your mouth and calm any hot summer day craving. You wouldn’t believe the ingredients are chickpeas, nut butter and dates when you take your first bite. The texture is like smooth cold ice cream. They are also packed with protein from the nuts and chickpeas, and I lessened the guilt by sweetening them with dates. Also, dates have tryptophan in them, which makes dates an ideal sweetener for kids that may be a little rambunctious, as well as adults that experience anxiety. Tryptophan promotes the production of serotonin and melatonin. Serotonin is known as the happiness hormone and melatonin is known for helping with sleep. Dates combined with protein makes these a great snack choice that will leave you satisfied.
The chocolate chips on the other hand, well you have to have chocolate… antioxidants right?
- 1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup salted smooth nut/seed butter (peanut butter, almond butter, sunbutter...)
- ½ cup milk (almond, coconut, cow's milk...)
- 6-8 pitted soft dates
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Top with a sprinkle of sea salt
- In a food processor add chickpeas, nut/seed butter, milk, pitted dates and vanilla. Mix until smooth. About 1 minute.
- Stir in by hand chocolate chips.
- Place batter into silicon molds ( I used standard sized muffin molds) Parchment lined 8x8 baking dish works great too.
- Freeze the fudge for at least 4 hours.